Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Best of the Best of the Best! - SIR!

I know there are literally hundereds of great books out there from this year, and I know I've still been reading in a time warp because most of what I read is over 10 years old let alone from this year, so after quite a bit of consideration and procrastination, I opted to give my full endoresement to..... a book I haven't read.

Yup.

BUT!! It's John Green.... and I have read him. And I have listened to him... And my daughter read this book (off of preordered present btw).
  And... When it comes to The Fault In Our Starts, the book of 2012 that I have chosen, it's the subject matter that made the difference.


Goodreads Synopsis -
 Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.(less)

Why? Why would I pick such a depressing topic to be my favorite book? Why would I claim this morbid subject matter?

Those who know me know why...and they also know why I haven't been able to read it just yet, but know its amazing.



 That's my daughter. She is 17 in this picture and in the midst of her 1st round of chemo for Leukemia.

And this is Tylor next to the stroller

These guys met in the hospital. Had a rocky start but ended up friends. I used to stop at McDonalds to get Tylor a quarter pounder...which really made my daughter mad. :) But he didn't have that many people to bring him stuff.

This is my daughter today. She is in remission and just graduated from High School.

We lost Tylor shortly after that picture above was taken. They had the same kind of cancer. And it's still so hard.

And I'll just BET John Green gets this. I just BET he will capture what's going on in these kids. My youngest daughter (this one's little sister) read it. She said she started crying before she opened the cover. And these two aren't exactly best friends :)

This book has the potential to be a powerful book. At least in my life. And when I steel myself enough to read it... I'll know why I was right in picking it as my
BEST OF THE BEST OF 2012!

Ok... heartfelt sadness story over... back to ArmchairBEA!!

10 comments:

  1. I completely understand why you couldn't read this book yet. I am happy to see your daughter is in remission, and sorry you suffered a loss in Tylor.

    Stopping by from Armchair BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, from what I've read about this book I can definitely see why you can't read this yet. I kind of want to cry just reading this, but I'm so glad your daughter's doing well, and how amazing that she managed to graduate on time and everything! Have a big internet hug *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's awesome!!!! Good pick!

    Thanks for participating!

    Here's my crem della crem list

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, well congrats to your daughter! But that's so sad about Tylor, I'm sending good wishes to you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sad about Tylor. It's so hard to see anyone go through cancer, but to me, especially a child or teenager. And, I get why you can't read this book yet. It's one that I want to read, but I'm kind of scared to just because of how hard the subject matter is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was touching, I had to fight back the tears. What a triumphant and blessing in your daughter's recovery. And my heart goes out to Tylor's family. Thank you for sharing this and thank you for visiting my blog so I could partake in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful daughter, and Tylor was a beautiful boy. Congratulations on her graduation: it must've been a tough high school year for her! Thanks for participating in Armchair BEA to share this story :)

    -Kirthi
    http://the1bookblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/armchair-bea-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from Armchair BEA. Nice to know you, Laura. Sorry for your lost, and I hope for the best for your daughter. It's really a good book and I know you won't be disappointed.

    See you around,

    -Len of Musings of a Reader Happy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear how well your daughter is doing. So horrible about Tylor. I can totally understand why you would pick this book, and without reading. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that your daughter is doing well!

    ReplyDelete