Saturday, July 28, 2012

I tried, I honestly did! - A review in the loosest sense

I did it. I tried it...then I tried a little harder...then I convinced myself I had to keep trying,...
But, Yeah. I couldn't do it!!

I could not stomach 50 Shades Of Grey.  I couldn't do it. It was like reading 5 or 6th grade writing coupled with Penthouse Forum-esque antics. Except Forum can actually be purty good - ifyaknowwhatImean!- and Forum is usually much better written.

This book was impossible. Aside from the poor writing was the ludicrous plot and the pathetic attempt at eroticism.

And to that note.... this book has a major problem for me. It goes past 'playful antics and exploration' into dangerous controlling, abusive tendencies of a narcissist with extreme issues.

And trust me, I do know. This is NOT a romantic relationship. This is not even a 'F-buddies' relationship. This is escalation waiting to happen, this is a timebomb.

Nope couldn't finish it. And don't tell me, well if you didn't finish it how can you say you know. I read enough. I DO get it. And my opinion has been validated in those who DID read it all the way through and came away with the same horrific reaction while assuring me I could save my self the anger and frustration and do something more productive with my time.

Look up 'reads 50 Shades of Grey' on youtube and you'll find some extrememly entertaining examples of why this book is such a joke. My favorite it Mark Reads 50 Shades of Grey - which he did for a charity fund raiser, and Gilbert Godfrey Reads 50 Shades of Grey...I've yet to see Cookie Monster reads...but I hear it's pretty funny OH and Ellen was hysterical!

That and I'm old enough to remember this has been done before. Anyone else remember the book 9 1/2 weeks? uhm hum. Same shock value. 

But my favorite voice on the topic is a review over on goodreads by a wise lady by the name of Katrina.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Check it out and then do yourself a favor and go to library and look for something with some substance! Maybe Fannie Flaggs Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe.  Or "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" Bet someone thought he was charming too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm loathe to admit this, but at some point I'll probably give in and read this book. Or attempt to read it. I don't expect to like it, but I feel like I can't be part of the conversation/discussion about this book because I haven't read it. Does that make sense?

    Oh, and I feel entitled to rant and rave about DNF books. Look, some books are just obviously garbage and you know it within a few pages. I think that if you're as specific as possible- which you were- then it's okay to review a DNF book. I honestly don't care if it's "fair" to an author- when I write a review on a bad book, I'm writing to other readers (consumers) and giving them my opinion. They can look at the review, look at my other book reviews, etc. and reviews from others and make up their own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in a bookshop, so although I haven't read it, I've flicked through it, picked bits out to read, even tried to read it from the beginning - but I got bored! It was badly written, and I agree with you that there is a big difference between the bedroom shenanigans - which is fine and their own business (as well as the business of all the readers) and letting that domination be the basis of that relationship. Quite concerned about the message it's giving out to vulnerable readers who might think, like some have thought of Edward Cullen, that this is how a relationship should be. (Not suggesting that people will instantly read this and think "Oh, I have to find myself a controlling boyfriend because it's SO ROMANTIC" - but I think we are influenced to a certain extent, consciously or subconsciously, by all media: TV, advertising, books, etc. etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for letting other people know. There are some books out there that are just not readable. They don't deserve to be finished...

    I added you from 40+ blog hop and stopping by to check out your review

    LeRoy

    http://daddywaddyweeviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the hype about this book, I decided I would thumb through the first pages and see how I liked the writing. I came away exactly with the same thoughts as you did - awful writing. Of course now one of the GUYS in my book club decided to make it his choice and I will be reading it. But that said, it's interesting that so many readers have put aside what you point out as "dangerous and abusive" tendencies in some of the scenarios. Great review! No need to finish the book, you did get it!

    Suzanne
    Chick with Books

    ReplyDelete