Monday, August 6, 2012

Miniature Review - Shutter Island

I saw the movie before I found out that our library book club would be reading this, luckily it was quite awhile before so my memory was hazy-ish on it.
The book was Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane



And I downright devoured this book. It was very hard not to project the actors into the characters. But actually I thought they fit pretty well.

It starts out a solid crime mystery that was compelling in itself. 2 Marshalls arrive on a 'Alcatraz'-ish island that houses the criminally insane in a joint penal/mental institution to investigate the disappearance of a patient...the vanishing basically since it is an island after all.

That's like in chapter one and then BAM lets the twists, turns and mind-screws begin.

And aside from having a compelling 'what-the-heck-is-going-to-happen' story, the writing was exceptional! So much better than some of the (to be unnamed so please feel free to insert your least faves) mystery crime drama contemporaries!!

Since I read this for our book club...

which by the way we need a name for our library book club - any ideas?

... I'll probably have more to say on this after we meet and discuss it. Which will still be hard to do on the blog without  giving much away and TRUST me, it's better not to know no matter how much you think you want to know, you don't. but you will. And once you do, you still wont be sure you do.

Drawbacks? I'm not sure, something bugged me and kept me from declaring it a favorite. Maybe it wasn't quite 'chick' enough. Although that sure makes it a great book for the reluctant guy reader. And so not too much of a drawback

That and there are elements like a piece I'm writing and I'm worried about that. But not too much.

So 4.5/5 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment