Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat

Another of my now typical brief reviews. Maybe I'll start calling the 'review-lets' .... maybe not.

This one is:
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat - Oliver Sacks.

I must say, the intriguing name lured me toward this piece first off, and it deals with some interesting, out of the norm neurological conditions which are fascinating,  but unless you are looking at this book in conjunction with research, it's not always reader friendly.

Sacks stated at the very beginning of the book that he wanted to tell the personal tales of these people, that records of them were so sterile and impersonal, and while he tried with introductory anecdotal information at the beginning of each case, he lapsed right into doctor-speak and lost my interest every time.

So I mark this book as 'read' only because I don't have a 'skimmed to the end' category. 


2/5 for this one I'm afraid. And really sad to have to do it. I had such high hopes.

2 comments:

  1. hi, i'm following the "never growing old" blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love the personal stories and the fascinating 'conditions' - quite scary to realize what the brain does and what can happen when it doesn't work correctly.

    ReplyDelete