Monday, May 19, 2014

Review: Frankenstein ~ Mary Shelley

   Title: Frankenstein
Author: Mary Shelley

Why I read this: A classic and I feel classics are important

My rating: 4/5


Synopsis from Goodreads: Mary Shelley began writing Frankenstein when she was only eighteen. At once a Gothic thriller, a passionate romance, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of science, Frankenstein tells the story of committed science student Victor Frankenstein. Obsessed with discovering the cause of generation and life and bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, Frankenstein assembles a human being from stolen body parts but; upon bringing it to life, he recoils in horror at the creature's hideousness. Tormented by isolation and loneliness, the once-innocent creature turns to evil and unleashes a campaign of murderous revenge against his creator, Frankenstein.

My Opinion: I admit it gets very drag-y in the middle and I have a hard time with esoteric language and writing style.. but that last part is my issue, not the book's so... with the last 1/3 of the book and the ending as boo-ya strong as it was, 4 stars is definitely called for!!

If you haven't READ Frankenstein, you DO NOT know the story of Frankenstein. Why more movies didn't stay closer to the book is beyond me (with the exception of Young Frankenstein, cuz well, that's just too funny to miss). The torment of dealing with the repercussions of what we have done, what we have let into the world, are dramatically portrayed in the both the person of Victor and the Monster. 

It shows that the love we withhold is what resonates in eternity. 

It shows that just because we regret something, we still have to be responsible for it. 

While it may never be one of my favorites per se, this is a tour de force of a novel... and she wrote it on a playful challenge!! Wow. Talent like that leaves me awestruck!

1 comment:

  1. I read this book in high school. There is no doubt as to why it's considered a classic :)

    ReplyDelete