Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Long and short of shorts... or sumthin'

Novellas/Short Stories 
Now it is time to give a little love to those little stories in your life. Share your love for your favorite shorts of any form. What is a short story or novella that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves? Recommend to readers what shorts you would recommend they start with. How about listing some short story anthologies based upon genres or authors? 

Since I seem to be the resident Stephen King number one fan  fanatic, I have to say that some of favorite stories and my favorite novella are from this super prolific author.

I became a fan through his short stories and I'm old enough that the first collection I read WAS his first collection.


Stories like: Jerusalem's Lot, Graveyard Shift, The Mangler, Trucks (which became Maximum Overdrive the poorly done and overly brutal movie), Children of The Corn (Same fate, yet an Iowa favorite! lol), and the one that scared me forever... The Boogyman.

From there I stumbled upon one of my favorite novellas every. My Sci-Fi book club sent me an anthology called Dark Forces which contained a new novela called The Mist.

This was classic King and classic novella.
no. clear. ending.
I LOVE that :)

Short stories to me are drinks from a sweet river not the history of where that river starts, passes and stops.
While King, as I say often, isn't exactly high literature, he gave me such an appreciation for the short tale, and the short story. ... most of which I DID go one to find in more literary veins (like the amazing Olive Kitteridge, each chapter a stand alone short story) but still not nearly as much fun as not being able to sleep because of a well crafted creepster :)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read anything from Stephen King to date. He's always on my to-read list, but I just never get to him somehow. I like how he has written books in almost all genres.

    ReplyDelete