Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday May 29 - endure

The word of the day today is Endure!



Today's Top Ten Tuesday hosted by the ever gracious folks at the Broke and the Bookish, asks us,
Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope Are Still Being Read In 30 Years

There are so many books from the past that I'm still trying to catch up reading that I actually had a hard time putting this list together! Everything I chose was over 10 years old! Almost...but there are some that I've had the privilege to read that should make an impression for years and years and years to come.



1.  The Book Theif - Markus Zusak - it's got such wonderful character and lends so much information to such an awful time , touching, and so well crafted.

2. The Help - Kathryn Stockett - This was and is an important book. The lessons from the time period written about can still apply to how we treat people today!! We should never see this as a book about the past but a book about how we look at each other!!

3. The Homecoming of Samuel Lake - Another look into a different cultural area with amazing characters and touching on delicate topics and tragic events.

4. Strange as this Weather Has Been - Ann Pancake - This brings to light the tragic ecological topic of mountain top mining in a story populated with incredibly strong people,but especially strong women.


5. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver - After I read this book, I never looked at my food or food choices the same again! This could be the modern version of 'Silent Spring'

6. Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier - This is literature. Simply literature. This is writing for the ages. It is Prose in a narrative world. I loved every sentence of this book. It did not rush, no matter how much I thought it should and it led me, involved me, in every path it took.

7. The Road - Cormac McCarthy - Allegory lives. On the surface, a post-apocalyptic novel about a man and his young son seeking safety. On another level, well .... I'll let you decide.

 8. Looking For Alaska - John Green - Green is a master of our time. Considered a Young Adult author, there is nothing short of great literature between the pages of ANY Green book, but especially Looking For Alaska and it's how it handles sensitive subjects and important topics.


9.The Kitchen Counter  Cooking School - Kathleen Flinn - If we all realized how easy it is to cook, perhaps we could break our unhealthy addiction to the fast and the over-processed! Me included...actually me Especially! :)


10. Of course, Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling. And I have no doubt this one will hold true!! :)

So there it is, I'm sure I'll come back with tons for my TBR list once I take off and wander around all your lists!



7 comments:

  1. gah, I really need to read The Road! It sounds like a book I would really enjoy, and good to know you'll think it'll still be read in the next thirty years! I'll help you out with that and read it sometime in the next thirty years. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list of nearly instant classics. I think you'll be proven right on a lot of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choices! :) I especially love that Harry Potter is there. But, of course, it's going to stand the test of time. It's such a classic already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't be surprised to see The Road around for a long time. Maybe Cold Mountain, too. Barbara Kingsolver seems like she will last. Great list!

    Here's my
    Top Ten Books I Hope We'll Still Be Reading in Thirty Years.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for Alaska is the only John Green I haven't read yet, but I finally got it last weekend. Thanks for visiting and I love your choices!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I have Cold Mountain on my want-to-read pile, I hope to pick it up sometime soon (the movie was quite interesting).

    Thanks for dropping by my blog yesterday =)

    ReplyDelete