Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top Ten Quotes ~ subject to change without notice

This week's topic is:  Top Ten Favorite Passages from Books
This is a fun topic this week! It is also one that, like my favorite food, tends to change depending on, for one thing, what new book I've read or what strikes my fancy, or what I remember I've forgotten!! There are so many that I'm sure as I go through the linky list, I'll be face-palm-ing for not choosing more amazing quotes!


 “You must never feel badly about making mistakes ... as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons.”
Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth 


  “Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)... There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.(Miss Maudie)”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird


 “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, or Life in the Woods 



 “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring 

'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring   



 “I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska 


  “They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!”
Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain 
(actually I like to recite this one just like in the movie. and I'm good at it too! I really get into it! watch out Renee!!)


“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice  


 “But the wild things cried, “Oh please don't go- We'll eat you up- we love you so!”
Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are 

Farewell Maurice.

8 comments:

  1. I love the Tolkien quotes! And Looking for Alaska, too. The final quote is wonderful, also, and all the more poignant today. Farewell, Maurice.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the To Kill A Mockingbird quotes I'm seeing today! My list could literally have been 10 from TKAM, so it's nice to see them represented everywhere else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these and love that you included one of Maurice Sendack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those books--and you can't go wrong with Tolkien or Austen. Thanks for stopping by. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that you quoted from Walden! That's one of my favorite books. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many Mockingbird quotes today, and they're all great. I do especially love the Sendak quote. In fact, that may be my favorite line of the whole book. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quote from To Kill a Mockingbird. I realized after listing my ten than I didn't list any from that book, even though I should have. Oh well.

    And, I love that you included a quote from Where the Wild Things Are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so many good quotes. I love that initial P&P quote - I almost put that one in my list too. And three from LOTR? You and I must be kindred spirits (I wanted to put the one about hobbits being surprising even after a hundred years in my list too). Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete