Monday, September 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday Top Ten Tuesday - reReads


Top Ten Tuesday...hosted  graciously by our dear friends over at The Broke and the Bookish are asking this week what books we wanted to re-read...huh? OH..re-read yeah. Got it. Oh! You mean list them..now! Ok...

See I do have  few I can list because I have time when my attention span isn't the best and I find my mind can wander even when I'm reading something as easily as it can when I'm not doing anything.
 I know there were nuances I missed because I spaced off the meaning of the words I was reading!

I know sometimes my mind would wander off before I got to the end of a sentence. In my defense these ARE some complex sentences!! We're talking lots of commas and maybe even a semicolon! I do love the book, just want to read it when my mind is all with me...or sort of with me.

Hopefully when I get back into this book my brain will go 'Oh Yeah!' but right now it's all a blur. I've no idea. Seriously


So there are these books that may have not made the impression they should have and then there are those I read so long ago my old old mind has a hard time remembering details about what they were about.
 
 Dystopian, yeah I remember, but I want the details back!! I remember I loved this book. I remember it affected me. The plot has gotten a little fuzzy since Mr. Wooten's High School class (ironically in 1983). told ya I was old!

I really really need a refresher read on this one. It was just as long ago as 1984.

I read this in high school too. I know I loved it, but don't really remember what happens in it. For King fans...now that I know the tie in with The Dark Tower series I really really want to reread it!


And then there are those books that I didn't read really I SHOVED through to get to the end usually because I liked them and really really wanted to find out what happened or because I hated them and wanted to find out what happened....except the yucky ones I probably don't want to re-read.
 The writing was so beautiful I wanted to just read and read and read plus I had to know if he got to her! Now I want to go back and just sink into the prose like a heart broken teenage girl into a pint of Ben and Jerry's!

I think this was the first one I didn't read to my girls out loud so I had to read fast so they could read it next, plus I really wanted to know what happened and be back in the magical world again!

And then there are the loves, the ones I'd love to have time to revisit and see if I love them still like I loved them then.
I have such a soft spot in my heart for this book. I think it was the only book that ever made me realize there was a world out there weirder than mine and people dealt anyway.

It's my favorite book of all time. I adore post-apocalyptic because of it yet no other PA dystopian book has touched it. One of these days I will go back to it and re-read it. Wonder if I can get through the Lincoln tunnel scene without my heart pounding this time?

So those are my 10. There are others, like Little Women, Watership Down, The Wump World, every Harry Potter, but there are so many new loves out there to discover...that sounded bad, like I'm a lit nympho or something! ;)

My  next favorite thing to re-reading in the mean time is when I get to turn somebody on to one of my favorite books and have them love it too! Even better when its one of my girls.

Best yet is when it's both of them!! Which was true with the Dark Tower Series. We all love it, we all still talk about it and one of these days I think my youngest may just genetically engineer her own BillyBumbler (a dog size racoon/dog/cat looking animal that can talk - sort of - like a parrot but with purpose ...trust me they are wonderful!)

I'm sure you guys will remind me of some that will set my heart on fire with yearning to re-read when I go explore your lists!

12 comments:

  1. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and P&P are on my list too! I want to reread WUBC really badly, but the length makes me hesitate.

    I thought about adding The World According to Garp as well. It's one of my all-time favorites.

    Here's my list if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting choices. I have quite a few of these on my TBR list and Harry Potter on my reread list.
    Thanks for visiting my blog - U2 At the End of the World is a must-have for any U2 fan. I just checked Amazon and Book Depository, it's about $21 at both places (a lot to some people, nothing to others, don't know which camp you fall into lol), but Book Depository's price includes tax and they have free worldiwide shipping. Also if you're a fan and haven't read it, U2 by U2 is amazing, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of Stephen King's book on my reread list too and would definitely love to reread the Harry Potter books again one right after the other since I read them as the were published. One day I will just take a couple of weeks and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, literally, almost every book on your list- all of them are definitely worthy of a re-read, I agree! I can't wait to re-read all The Dark Tower books again though, seriously- so so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entire Harry Potter series made my list. It will be the first series I reread in the near future ... I hope.

    I plan to read P&P by the end of this year. If I don't make it, it will be early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great selections! I completely forgot about Cold Mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent list.

    Since I'm such a ferocious re-reader I had trouble finding books I HADN'T re-read. :)

    Your Harry Potter choice reminds me I think I'd like to reread the last two books again. They were my favorites of the whole series which is growing dim in my brain even as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique list of books! None of them are the same. I agree with you about Harry Potter, I could re-read those books everyday and always notice something new.

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to read Slaughterhouse-Five twice before it made any sense, but then I loved it. 1984 is another classic that I never get tired of rereading. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to reread Slaughterhouse Five and some Murakami. I think I would choose Norwegian Wood though. I love 1984 every time I read it as well.

    Come visit my list at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will probably reread the Dark Tower series when the new book comes out. Since it's between 4 and 5, I might like it because the last three books were really bad, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete