Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Top Ten REBEL Tuesday!

In the spirit of the topic, I was tempted to wait to post this until Wednesday >:) But here I am being a good little blogger and posting today.

REBEL YELL!!!!!!
Top 10 Rebels in Literature:

(in no particular order this week)

1) Lace from As Strange As This Weather Has Been. I just, and I mean JUST, finished this book and Lace fits right into the rebel-osity of the topic perfectly. This is a little overlooked GEM of a book that deserves a more publicity (no I didn't write it, nor did any of my family members..that I know of) Lace gathers her strength to stand her ground - literaly from Big Coal and their Mountain Top Removal mining that threatens to wash her out with every rain as it massacres the mountains her family has called home for generations.



2) Lisabeth Salander from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - does pretty much what she wants when she wants. BUT is still the absolute best at what she does and dependable to finish what she's started.


3) Skeeter from The Help.Imagine such a rebel that would go to college to learn a career rather than get her Mrs. degree. Plus she felt the wrong in her world down to her bones and did something.


 4) Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. The quietest, gentlest rebel you'll ever love.




5) Hazel and Fiver from Watershipdown. doing a brave thing isn't very 'rabbity' but it was important and despite persecution and ridicule they did what they had to do. And lived to tell about it.


 6) Harry Potter - from Harry Potter (duh). Mostly I added HP to my list too because I think what Harry rebelled against most was despair. Who among us could take the kind of abuse and tragedy Harry did and not become bitter, cynical, hardened, or criminal. Harry rebelled with HOPE!

7) Jo - from Little Women. She was pretty text book girl-rebel here. Rebelling against a woman's place and the social norms and mores that are expected of 'a lady' yet she became a great woman.



8) Alaska from Looking for Alaska. Again a text book rebel, but for any gender. Anti Authority, anti-establishment, anti-expectation. If she could call it 'anti' something then she'd do it.



9) Holden Caufield. - The epitome of rebel. Too bad a lot of what he rebelled against was his own sanity!!


 10) Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. She tells the way her and her family lived on local or homegrown for a year. Truely brave in this ag, ag, ag,  world. Also probably moved me the most to take a harder look at my ways.

So there's mine. As always I'll look forward to seeing yours...wait...that didn't sound right...

Here's my top ten, I'll look forward to reading your this week ;)

Hey! On the East Coast it WAS Wednesday by the time I got this posted....see I DO have a lil rebel in me :)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't think of Alaska, but I definitely agree that she is a "text book rebel."

    Check out my list at The Scarlet Letter .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love seeing Harry on there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Barbara Kingsolver. One of my favourite authors.

    ReplyDelete