Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery



Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author:  L.M. Montgomery
Pages: 308
Why I Read This Book:
This a selection for the Back To The Classics Challenge over at Sara Reads Too Much There are 8 catagories in the challenge one of which was “A Children’s/Young Adult Classic”. I’ve seen the movie (which I did love) but hadn’t read the book so I chose it for this category.

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis From Goodreads:
When Anne Shirley arrives at Green Gables farm on Prince Edward Island, she surprises everyone: first of all, she is a girl. Marilla Cuthbert and her brother, Matthew, had specifically asked for an orphan boy. She has bright red hair that won't manage and a mouth that won't shut. Nothing will ever be the same at Green Gables!

My Review/Opinion:
In this utterly charming book by Lucy Maud Montgomery I found a character I both wanted as a best friend and wanted to be! Anne Shirley is the eternal optimist to be certain but her look at life, on trial and tribulations large and small, as purveyor of or victim to, make me remember that despite the cliché of it all, there IS a bright side. There is a way to pick up and go one, from my own mistakes or from life’s little un-pleasantries.

As was intended, I liked everyone in this book, even those not so likable were very well portrayed. The stodgy neighbor and even Marilla herself and her utilitarian ways were endearing in their right. The soft-hearted Matthew is to me the books heart and soul. If Anne Shirley represents a harbinger of change, then Matthew is the epitome or a new world embraced.

Besides falling in love with Anne and the people of Avonlea, you can not help falling in love with the Island itself. What was once a beautiful landscape quickly becomes magically enchanted with the application of Anne’s generous imagination.

And then there's the writing. The language and the descriptions are like candy! Everything popped in my mind as I read it (despite having seen the movie). A little timber becomes a Haunted woods, A treelined lane becomes The White Way of Delight. Seriously! This child does not take life for granted...any of it! 

All in all this is book not to miss. If literature is a gourmet meal for the mind, then Anne of Green Gables is the richest desert. Simply delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment