Monday, July 25, 2011

Top Ten Tough Topics and alliteration

Top Ten Tuesday (my fav meme) graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
 
I do like a book that makes me think. That challenges what I thought were Iron Clad beliefs and ideas. To enlarge my world and help me understand it better or wonder what the heck is happening to it more. Depends on the case. These are the tough topics.

So here's my list. In no particular order. I haven't read Johnny Got His Gun yet but my daughter did and she said that book for certain will never ever leave her.

 To Kill A Mockingbird - prejudice

 The Help - Prejudice

The Book Theif - Prejudice!

The Wump World - Our Environment (my favorite, but with a nod to The Lorax as well)


Silent Spring - Our Environment - she won that one!  (Although not fiction)


Looking For Alaska - spoiler


Push (Precious) - abuse, ignorance, prejudice, just how harsh our own streets can be.


The Jungle - because we are what we eat.



Johnny Got His Gun - to stop all the romanticizing of war. period


The Shack - our own theology and how we relate to it. The Who, The What, The Why Why Why!!

Those are mine. I like it when writers keep writing strong, in-your-face pieces about how they see the world and what makes them outraged or saddened by it.

I'll look forward to seeing your lists!

8 comments:

  1. I included The Book Thief and To Kill a Mockingbird as well. I have Looking For Alaska on my TBR list so now my curiosity is piqued about what tough topic it deals with.

    Good choice on The Shack too. I know it's come under a lot of controversy but it's definitely a book to make people think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I haven't read any of them yet, though. But, most of them are on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you put the Wump World on your list! I should have put The Starbellied Sneetches and Butter Battle Book on my list!

    Here is my list:

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-tuesdays-july-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Jungle has always stuck with me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read PUSH! Thanks for reminding me.

    Please visit my blog and sign up for my first Giveaway!

    Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices, I have some on my list and others on my TBR list.

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mark Zusak, so must read The Book Thief some day.

    Here's mine:
    http://abookandashortlatte.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/top-ten-tuesday-2/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great list. I missed this meme this week, so here is MyTeaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete