Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fall Reading Challenge book 3 - To Kill A Mockingbird

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee -
My Rating: 5/5


I wish I wish I wish that I had come to this book of all books without having seen the movie first!!! This was such a deeply moving and morally challenging book that I sure would have liked to have had no preconceptions in my head or actor portrayals to skew my experience.

Like most, I absolutely love this book above and beyond both what I thought I would and most other books. It has that parable-ic quality that makes you examine life in the here and now, and especially your own behavior.

It made me wonder what my hypocritical action is, because I have one I'm sure. There is only one Atticus. The rest of us are more Scouts, Jems, and hopefully not too many Aunties. (I really didn't like it when she came to live with them... I guess it worked out ok, but I still am not a huge fan of hers).

I have a friend who reads this book every year. I thought that was kind of strange...but he is a lawyer, so I guess it's like re-reading the bible. Every time you read it, something speaks to you in a new and enlightening way.

Despite the fact that I wished I had NOT seen the movie first, I went to the library and checked out the movie yesterday!

Definitely on my 'best books ever' list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment