Monday, November 22, 2010

Classics Challenge Winter/Spring

Sarah, from Sarah Reads Too Much, has opened this wonderful challenge!! I'm am soooo looking forward to this! I hate winter and this should carry me right through and keep my mind occupied so I won't even notice if it snows.

The Challenge will be open from January - June 2011.  You can list you book choices before the challenge starts, or as you go along....  whatever works best for you.


The goals to complete:

  1. A Banned Book
  2. A Book with a Wartime Setting (can be any war)
  3. A Pulitzer Prize (Fiction) Winner or Runner Up:  a list can be found here
  4. A Children's/Young Adult Classic
  5. 19th Century Classic
  6. 20th Century Classic
  7. A Book you think should be considered a 21st Century Classic
  8. Re-Read a book from your High School/College Classes
Here's My list :
Banned Book  - The Catcher in the Rye
I've read this but it's been soooo long ago I really think I'll come at it from a totally new perspective. Plus I own a copy so that's handy.


War Time Book - The Killer Angels
I've never read this but my X was completely a non-reader yet he wouldn't put this book down.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Book - A Thousand Acres
I made it my New Years Resolution one year to read the Pulitzer books. I didn't get very far but it was my favorite resolution I've ever made! This year is, of course, finish this challenge :) I chose this one from this awesome list in itself because I about had a cow when this book came out and still haven't thought of a new title for the story I'm working on! Yes I had a story called A Thousand Acres as well. Guess that's what I get for procrastinating... mine still isn't done.

Young Adult Classis - Ann of Green Gables
I've never read this book. There were several I wanted to pick (and to be honest this catagory still may change... The Wrinkle in Time books are calling me too!). I've seen the movie but it seems the book should be like a comfy feather bed in February!

 19th Century classic - Mansfield Park
Sue me, but I'm totally unfamiliar with this Austen piece. I'm looking forward to exploring it. I became curious about from the Movie, The Jane Austen Book Club.  I love that movie :) Sappy as it is.


20th Century Classic - The Jungle
This is a very important book to me. I own a copy but it's acquisition may have changed my life. Which is another long story for a different post. Plus I've been doing some reading on food production (and in case you don't know, I work in agri-business at a feed manufacturing plant) and alternatives to how we are doing things. This is a Don't Miss book for that topic from what I understand.

21st Century Classic - Gilead
I've heard good things about this book and am really looking forward to it. Again, so many to choose from it was a hard pick. I was going to read some blurbs and see what appealed to me. I started with Gilead and that was as far as I got...set in Iowa. Gotta read a homespun book.
A Re-Read - 1984

I read this in High School but it stuck with me. It will be awesome to read it again. Would love to do a read-a-long with some folks on this one!




 
 
So that's my challenge list. I'll put it in the sidebar when it gets closer to starting. I can't wait to see all your lists and keep up with how your reading goes!!


14 comments:

  1. Great book list! I'll admit - I haven't read The Jungle yet... though I know I should. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... Anne of Green Gables was my favorite book as a child!! You're gonna get hooked, I know it!

    Girls with Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list! I am about to begin Killer Angels. Every one of these books is on my personal to-read list!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This webѕite ωаs... how ԁο Ι sаy it?

    Rеlеνant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thank you! www.Shinewaveindia.com
    Also see my website > www.Shinewaveindia.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, can you PM me and tell me few more thinks about this, I am really
    fan of your blog...

    Look into my web page kubus.garantiert-nett.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great articles & Nice a site….

    Also visit my site ... website

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are free to watch funny videos online then I suggest you to go to see this
    website, it contains in fact thus humorous not only
    movies but also additional information.

    Feel free to visit my page :: http://www.19ja.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your style is so unique compared to many other people.
    Thank you for publishing when you have the opportunity,Guess I will just make
    this bookmarked.2

    Visit my blog http://mla.mrooms.org/user/view.php?id=52898&course=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. If any one wants to be a successful blogger, after that
    he/she must read this paragraph, for the reason that it
    includes all methods related to that.

    my blog post ... http://freelancehood.com/index.php?do=/profile-40118/info/
    My site > crew.valkry.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, you are accurate Google is the most excellent in support of blogging,
    Google’s webpage also appear fast in search engines
    too.

    My weblog website
    My webpage - phpfoxdev.indexcreativeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you apply these kinds of methods for increasing traffic on
    your own webpage, I am sure you will notice the change in
    few days.

    Here is my page ... http://www.sosindo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues.
    was truly information. Your website is
    very useful. Thanks for sharing.
    Also see my web site - website

    ReplyDelete
  13. Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upοn уour blog and in accession cаpital to assert that I аcquіre actually
    lovеd аccount youг blоg pоsts.

    Anу ωay I'll be subscribing in your augment and even I success you get admission to persistently fast. http://www.business-networking-uk.co.uk
    My site: http://www.business-networking-uk.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am cheerful to see this you tube video at this web site, so right now I am also going to add all my video clips at YouTube web site.



    my page :: http://colnotion.com
    Also see my website :: website

    ReplyDelete