Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekends are for booking

Some people go junking, some go yard saleing, I go booking. For the most part. On the weekends I love to cruise yard sales and second hand stores, the GW boutique, auctions and everything in between mostly on the lookout for books. Oh sure I pick up the odd and end here and there, but it's books on my list.

This weekend there was a going out of business sale at a consignment shop. At 75% off I finally felt the prices for used paperbacks were reasonable. I thought six bucks were a little steep. Anyway... I got some beauties!!

I had just read and reviewed a library copy of this book and it is on my sylabus for a lit class I'm taking this semester so I was thrilled to find a copy!!

This is why, while I'd like to have one and will probably cave soon, e-Readers will never take over completely. The thrill of the hunt and find is just too precious. Holding that sought after volume is too satisfying and putting that sweet story on the shelf is too indulgent. We like to induldge don't we? Of course we do...ok, well I know I do!

I also picked up a copy of

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. I loved her non-fiction Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and am looking forward to the fiction...sometime in the future.

I also found a nice copy of
 I saw this movie before I realized it was a book. And I loved it. Again it deals with one of my soft spots, my beloved Appalacia and West-by-God Virginia.

1.50 each seemed reasonable to me. Nice clean copies too :) It is one of my deepest pleasures to greedily add to my overflowing shelves.(Is that bad?)

And now I can only add them to my goodreads list since my first classes at University of Iowa kicked off today and I have no idea weather I have bitten of more than I can chew. What I do know is that leisure reading will be a rare item for the next few months.

Hopefully blogging will not be. :)

1 comment:

  1. The Poisonwood Bible is by far Kingsolver's best: score!! And The Things They Carried has to be one of the finest fictions of 20th century American lit. How wonderful that you'll have it on your fall syllabus!

    ReplyDelete