Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday of the Underrated

This will be a Top Ten Tuesday to send your TBR pile to the mooooon! I can't wait to peruse you guys' lists and see what choices are out there to keep me reading FOR-EV-VER!!

As it stands, I have some favorites I wish had seen more marketing or shelf cover time.

As always, this amazing meme it brought to us today by The Broke & The Bookish
 Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

In no particular order: 

Strange As This Weather Has Been - strong female leads, environmental issues that Must be addressed, and the over looked wonders of the area that is Appalachia...coupled with amazing writing...this book is a gem!

This is not a 'fun' book. There is humor but it's like life preserver humor. This is a war story/stories book and it's hard. but it IS IMPORTANT and a very very well written book. 

Will change your thinking on eating. Not just what you eat but when you eat it and why. This book comes into my mind on a daily basis and I'm still striving to come closer to its mark. 

Everyone knows the  Lorax, nobody knows the Wumps. While both are good and have the perfect awareness-moral, nothing, on this planet or theirs, are cuter than WUMPS!!!!!

HMMMMM starting to realize I read a lot of pretty mainstream stuff!!

 Conrad Richter had a series called The Awakening Land that started with The Trees. I absolutely loved loved loved these books!! They hardly come up anymore and I think it's time to see MORE of them!! Pioneer stories with a great female protagonist. A Family Epic series!

Ok... I'm short listing this week :(   I could scrounge up a couple more like:

Harvest Home?
Getting Over It by Anna Maxted

Oh and I'm sure there are tons of others....but I bet they are on YOUR list...so I'll go see :)
\

Besides...I'm allllll excited because I may be able to take my kiddo home from the hospital tomorrow. (she's been in for 43 days for round 3 of chemo) one more round to go and she's done with the long treatments!! YAY!



 

8 comments:

  1. The Trees sounds interesting!

    Check out my Top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle sounds like something I should read. Food and I are both best friends and arch nemeses. We need to rethink our relationship. ;)

    PS--The Wumps are very cute. I'll have to see if I can find that book and give it to my friend's kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this topic because I'm hearing about all sorts of books and authors I've never heard of before!

    Please check out mine if you have the chance:

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-ten-tuesdays-aug-09-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a big fan of Barbara Kingsolver! I still have a few of her books I haven't yet read - Animal Vegetable is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Bill Peet's books as a child! Do you remember the Kweeks of Kookatumdee as well?
    The Barbara Kingsolver book above looks fascinating - that's going on my TBR pile!

    New follower :)

    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-10-tuesdays-underrated-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I have enjoyed all I've read of these...everything except Wump World (and how have I, a children's librarian, missed this one!) and The Trees.

    Here's my Top Ten post for this week: Top Ten Underappreciated Books
    And don't forget to stop in and sign up to win in the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Wumps. Love them. I remember them very clearly from my childhood. And, The Things They Carried is one of my all time favorite books.

    Check out mine at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete