Friday, June 26, 2015

Follow Friday!! More Nostalgia :)

Since I waxed nostalgically poetic in my last piece, I began thinking about other things that used to make my heart smile, that used to soothe my soul, and I remembered my favorite blogging meme. 

I used to participate much more often in Follow Friday here with Parajunkie and since I sort of slipped away from it I feel much more out of touch with the best trends of the bookish blogosphere.

And then I get back here today to see I get to FURTHER continue my trip down memory lane with today's question. (you can actually follow however you'd like)

http://www.parajunkee.com/2015/06/25/ff-feature-follow-time-get-your-hop-on-19/
Today's question:
Is there a book that you were required to read in school that you actually loved? – Suggested by Natalie Hearts Books.

WELL!! Let me tell you! 
First of all, I went to the coolest High School EVER! (Rah Rah for Central High! Rah for the Gold & Brown!! ~ Evansville Indiana).
We had this wonderful little thing called electives and instead of the rote English, Sophomore English, English for College prep type classes we had. Science Fiction in Literature. Which I signed up for as fast as I could. It also boasted the best teacher on the planet. Seriously, I think that's an award he won.

The books I was "required" to read? Oh well just a few little tomes like


Farenheit 451


On The Beach


1984

and ....

DUNE!

(yes all in one semester)
I LOVED them all but was totally 100% captured by Dune. To say I devoured that book is like saying John Green is pretty good at the teen angst story. I mean I woofed that book down. I'm not sure it was my actual first trip into a world completely author built like that... I may have read The Hobbit before, but I"m not sure, and I'd already begun reading King...

What I do know is that AFTER reading Dune, I signed up for the Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Club. ..And I was pretty sure I'd found a little piece of heaven. 

It's still one of my favorite genres I just don't get there as often as I'd like these days.  

From Ishiguro to (the book I'm listening to right now) Howey, I've alway relished diving into the genre... for me it's been like coming home and putting on sweats after a day in heels and hose.




And all because of books I was REQUIRED to read for class


Oh and the class? yeah ... I got an A+


8 comments:

  1. That’s so cool that you had a sci-fi class. In my senior year of high school, we got to choose between English lit and American lit. Those were our only choices. I did read Fahrenheit 451, though. I loved it.

    I'm a new Bloglovin' follower.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong with Orwell! I love all his stuff :) But surprisingly I never had to read it in school. Go figure!

    Here's my FF.

    New follower via Bloglovin (sorry I don't have GFC!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was a lot, while I only remember one book that I really liked!

    My FF

    New GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing about books we are required to read is that they are by-in-large excellent books. I haven't read DUNE yet, but hope to some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome is that!! My high school had electives too, but you couldn't really start taking them till your junior year but more common your senior year. I was able to take a Literature of Controversy course and Modern American Classics Course for my senior year, and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. It was nice not having to worry about grammar lessons, and then try to squeeze in a lecture for the section of reading you had to read the night before. Love your passion and school spirit!

    New Follower via Bloglovin :)

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only book I've read from your list is 1984.

    New follower.

    My FF: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/06/feature-follow-friday-required-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you're SO lucky you had the chance to study science fiction in high school!! I had no such luck..... So you're right that your high school was cool! WAY COOOOL!!!!

    The only one of these books I've read is "Fahrenheit 451". I LOVE this book!!! The characters are great, the plot, very disturbing (Bradbury has this thread of unease and even horror in some of his novels and stories), and the writing, oh, the writing! I LOVE great prose style, and Bradbury is a master stylist!!

    I've been wanting to read "Dune" for years, and somehow have never gotten to it. Ditto for the other SF classics you mention.

    Ishiguro is supposed to be EXCELLENT. "The Remains of the Day" has garnered lots of praise. As for the one you mention here, I haven't heard of it, but it must be just as good! I've recently discovered "Wool", and have downloaded the first novel in this series to my Android phone.

    "So many books, so little time." Frank Zappa was SURE right!!

    CONGRATS on the A+!!! New GFC follower!! : )

    Here's my own FF post:

    http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/feature-follow-friday-4-required-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. I haven't read that Ishiguro book. I did read Remains of the Day which I wasn't overly fond of, so I haven't read anything else by him. I should.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete