Friday, March 6, 2015

A Couple of 'Oh Wow' reviews. The Goldfinch and On The Road

Let me say that while I'm glad I read both of these, I didn't really like (or even enjoy) either of them.


I'm terrible at writing big analytic reviews these days. Especially if the book isn't something that moved me, or that I enjoyed. If I had to do a 'Review on a post it" this would be:
When bad things happen to good people, and happen, and happen and then the good people make really crappy choices and sorta go a lil gaga"

But WOW the writing is so direct. So amazing. (and lots of it).  I see and don't see why it got the Pulitzer. I'd really have to spend some time with the writing to connect all the metaphorical dots. The boats, the art, the drugs, the craftsmanship. Are we all works of art? are our souls like sinking boats? Are we works of craftsmanship? I've read reviews that trash the writing, say it's more Young Adult than literature. I wonder. Is it or did they have something else in mind going into it. I know I did, and while I was completely surprised by the trek of the book, I don't think the writing distracted from it's power one iota.

I did love Hobie though. For the movie... John Lithgow. Has to be.  100%.

And then there's Kerouac. Oh my Gyod I'm EXHAUSTED from this book!!! For the love of pete boys SIT THE EF STILL for a while would ya!

Review on a post it... if you remember the kids book GO,Dog Go, well then Kerouac has Go, Cat Go! and go. and go. If these were the Beats, its a miracle we didn't kill ourselves during the cold war.

And this was the 50s? and late 40's? WOW!!! Nothing new under the sun boys and girls. Always something out there to drive that fact home too.

Now... off to find something I actually DO like :)

4 comments:

  1. I really, really liked GOLDFINCH...all 32 hours of the audiobook! Theo made such bad choices but he was really served up a pile of crap. There were so many metaphors it seems like I can't even begin to figure them all out. I think, but I am not sure, when people face such horrible psychic pain early in life they have to find a way to deaden the pain. In walks drugs. Not an excuse, but it makes sense. I love how Theo was working on putting his world aright at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... you have read it. I am alone. I tried The Secret History and found it to be more work than I was willing to give it at the time, so I've steered clear of The Goldfinch. Maybe someday I'll pick them both up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... you have read it. I am alone. I tried The Secret History and found it to be more work than I was willing to give it at the time, so I've steered clear of The Goldfinch. Maybe someday I'll pick them both up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an investment I'll give it that! The longer I'm away from it now though i'll say the more it's growing in my esteem if that helps. I listened to it. The narrator was awesome. It's a good way to go.

      Delete