Thursday, January 5, 2012

The year's first finish and first start

It always feels good to finish the first book of the year. Even if I technically started it in the last year. And I very much enjoyed it!!

Jane Smiley is an authentic voice for those who are just a bit aghast at the manners of the midwest.

And, even though I broke tradition and saw the film (or in this case mini-series) first, I am starting the chunkster Pillars of the Earth.

I feel awful that I'm worried about reading this because it may put me behind in my 2012 reading challenge because it will take me so long to get through it. Since when did numbers outweigh reading good books in my world? Just because I missed the 2011 goal I set doesn't mean that goal numbers are the end all of my reading purpose!! sheesh silly me!

I also stumbled on a book I've added to my TBR list and it fits in with my goal to read more new (or newer ) releases.
 The Sisters - by Nancy Jensen.

Another family epic, this one set near the area where I grew up, spanning 3 generations. I'm really looking forward to it!!

My review of A Thousand Acres will be up soon, but I'll go so far as to say I gave it 4.5/5 stars.

My new friend does a cool thing where he reads one fiction and one non-fiction a month. I don't read near enough non-fiction so I need to try to add this idea. And finish The Kitchen Counter Cooking School which I was really enjoying but let my galley run out before I finished it.

And, I'm jonesing for a trip to the bookstores I love (indie and chain, but mostly indie) and I need to get back to the library soon.

I'm so glad the world of books is soooo big!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment