Friday, October 15, 2010

I wanna be the minority...books you loved and me? not so much







I am joining in on Follow Friday over at Parajunkee's View again and, for the first time, Blog Hop this week because I couldn't resist this question.



"When you read a book that you just can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?"
I probably have a few books I could put here that I moved on from... Atlas Shrugged made me furious and may I say no wonder we had a 'me' generation... House of Sand and Fog; I quit that one because I didn't believe a thing the characters did.

The worst book I stuck out... for the moment is:


The Host - Stephenie Meyer
I know a lot of you probably liked it... and some of you wouldn't pick up a Meyer book for love nor money. I have teen girls. So I had to see what was up with all this and my youngest angel liked this book but we were all pretty lukewarm on Twilight except for the cars. :)
I did not like it but finished it. While the premise was actually not bad and had promise the handling of it was so off the mark. Not for awful writing alone, but for the portrayal that 'strong women take abuse'! That sends me to the moon!(gentle review here)

Usually when I'm reading a 'meh' book, is when I find myself scrounging yard sales for books, rearranging my shelves, perusing my TBR pile. But I like finished books. I won't put a book in my book journal if I gave it up. And I like having books (although not nearly as many as most of you! Wow!) in my journal.

I happen to love the book I'm reading now and actually think about getting back to it the way night owls think about getting back to bed at 7:30 in the morning :) If that makes sense to anyone..

15 comments:

  1. Happy FF! I'm your newest follower.
    I would appreciate if you followed back ;)
    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's 2.58am in the morning here and I'm still hopping. Think it's time I went to bed!
    Thanks for hopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping by to say hi!

    Enjoy your weekend :D

    Stephanie @ www.bestfriends-books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Laura! thanks for stopping by and following my book blog, my kozy korner. I'm actually following both of your blogs now!

    The Host is on my list on paperbackswap.com, but now I'm rethinking it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not stand The Memory Keepers Daughter. UGH it still pains me to think that I even finished the book! BLEH!! I liked The Host though HAHA!

    New Follower!


    Hop on by! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping over from England to admire your blog. Hello!
    I quite liked The Host, but am not a devotee of Mrs Meyer. There are very little books I give up on. Sometimes I'll put one down, read something else and just not bother to come back to it, but usually I'll push through. I don't know why we readers feel the obligation to read for pleasure something we're not actually enjoying, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just hoppin’ on by <3

    I usually stick books out, even if it annoys me like crazy. I like giving fair chances to books, and I feel incomplete if I don’t finish it. I’ve even stuck it through an entire series I absolutely hated. Maybe it’s just me being weird.

    I have never tried Meyer's The Host - I was just never really interested in the first place.

    I'm a new follower :D

    Kristina @ Frazzled Book Nommer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just hoppin' on by to say "Hi!"
    I will stick with it and finish a book even if I don't like it. I'm scared I'm going to miss an incredibly ending or something. LoL And if it's part of a series I'll read the rest too.
    Happy reading this weekend!

    http://readingbetweenthewinesbookclub.blogspot.com/
    New follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Stopping by on Follow the Friday :)
    Im a new follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    BTW - I couldn't finish the Host .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Follow Friday!!! Hope you will stop by my blog too! My publisher and I are looking for a group of bloggers for a huge blog tour next year before the release of book two in my 'A Sense of Truth' series! We will be giving out a few more copies of The Thirteenth Chime (we can only give out so many, being open to e-books gives an upper hand) and are still open to all interviews and guest posts. We want to fill up the Amazon page with reviews and try to reach as many people as we can!!! Hope you might consider being a part of the team! Thank you either way!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    Emma_Michaels@hotmail.com
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did read The Host but didn't care for it. I did read the Twilight books and had fun with them. But The Host was just too boring. I don't know what else to say. Wanda seemed flat and uninteresting to me. Anywho, thanks for visiting The Prairie Library!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read the Host, mainly because I thought so much of Twilight was just BS. (I finished them all, but the last book actually made me angry) I think they're horrible role-models for teenage love. ACK.

    You're only strengthened my resolve not to read any more Stephanie Meyer.

    New follower here!

    Check out my Blog Hop and Follow Friday HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stopping by to thank you for visiting us at Murphy's Library.

    I gave up on reading The Host... Couldn't stand--and to be honest, thinking about the book right now, I can't even remember what was its problem, for me... It's like I totally forgot about the book, which's not that common, even when I don't like the book...

    Hope you're having a good weekend :)

    Maeva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by for the Hop! Hope you're having a great weekend :)

    Angela
    Touch the Night

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous blog--I'm glad I found you! Good for you for "looking specifically"! I raised two daughters myself before I was ready to be specific again!

    ReplyDelete