Friday, October 22, 2010

Thirteenth Tale - A Fall Reading Challenge update

I finished my first book from my fall reading challenge over at A Southern Daydreamer Reads.  I hope I haven't set the bar too high based on my other books, since I very much liked this book.


 The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield was a marvelous journey on par with the best gothic tales. Not in anyway shape or form a scary book, the story winds forth at a deathbed-ish biographical confessional of reknowned and beloved author. Skeletal shawdows of tragic family secrets criss cross from both biographer and author.

Amazon's review called it a ghost story but I disagree. I thought it was more contemplative in nature than erie, and only could be a ghost story as these women confronted the ghosts of their pasts.

But I LOVED these women! Their strengths and their weaknesses. An author who's given 19 different versions of her life story to nosey reporters. Gotta love the spunk!

And I loved the way the story played out. And the setting had such a 'Wuthering Heights' melencholy to it!

I simply couldn't wait to get back to this book at night.

A couple small things kept me from giving this book 5 stars - at least for now...perhaps the pace was a little too languid as I found myself having to go back and look up who was who. It could be me of course, but names just weren't sticking which usually means I'm not quite connecting.

And although I loved 99% of how the end played out, there were 3 little loose ends that were tied up like a 6 year old's self tied shoes...too quick and not very neat.


I'll miss my trips to Angelfield but I'm so glad I went!

The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield  4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment