Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fall Reading! WOOT!



Ok so I actually love reading any time, but is there anything cozier than a crisp day with the leaves crunching and swirling blusterly about than to curl up with a good book? (except a gray snowy day- that's the BEST...anyway)

I'm finally picking my list for the Fall Reading Challenge over at A Southern Daydreamer Reads. With school, work, and my volunteer stuff, this is really an ambitious list for me.


 The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield
I've seen this reviewed on a couple blogs and my daughter had checked it out of the library once after hearing it was good. I read about 2 pages as a preview and wow! I can't wait :)






Animal Vegetable Miracle - by Barbara Kingsolver
After reading Walden and seeing other interesting selections for my Environmental Science class I happened upon this and thought it must have been fated, so of course I had to add it.



The Help - Kathryn Stockett
I started this as an audio. Turns out I don't really sit still as long as I thought I did and kept having to run it back. Finally opted for the 'hold me in your hands' print version. Of course I"ve seen this book around... best seller for how long? and on the blogs a lot too. Is it awful that I like the cover too! :)

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
What else is there!


 Dr. Zhivago - Boris Pasternik
In english. My first (I am chagrined to say) foray into the world of Russian Lit. Really looking forward to this one too!


Strange as this Weather Has Been - Ann Pancake
I bought this on eBay as a continuation of my West Virginia trip. I drew the line there at actually making a pot of brown beans and cornbread - unless my dad is coming to visit. This novel is set in West - by God- Virginia and addresses Appalachian issues common for generations.



Nights in Rodanthe - Nicholas Sparks
I've never read one of his books, only seen the tear-jerking movies.. Had to check out the source. Plus thought with some of the others on my list I may need something lighter. Not that the subject matter is lighter, just a lighter read.

So there we have it... An Autumn reading Extravaganza... ok so maybe not Extravagant, but sounds like fun to me none-the-less.

I'll look forward to keeping up with my fellow challenge readers and see how they like their selections too!!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great list Laura! Now to find time to read....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list..you will love the Thirteenth Tale.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Barbara Kingsolver book I'd like to read very soon too. I've never read anything by her before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just popped over to see everyone's list and see that you have a Nicholas Sparks book on your list! I use to love his books but I've gotten away from them the last few years. May I reccomend that if you've never read one before that you read The Notebook first...in my opinion it is the best book that he wrote. The Wedding is a follow up to it and is as equally a good read. The books are ALWAYS better than the movie. Let me know what you think of him though, he is good. I also lived in NC while I read his books and because that is where they are set I felt really connected to his stories.

    Good Luck with the list.

    ReplyDelete