Saturday, June 22, 2013

Well read isn't always tons of fun




Being well read is important to me. At least well read by my definition, which includes the classics, old and new. So I've dedicated myself to reading lots of those books that make all the fashionable lists, the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die, the BBC Big Read list, and the many lists on The Greatest Books website.

And most of these books I feel do make a person 'well read'. You have more metaphor and allegory to fall back on. You have examples from these lists of great writing and horrific writing, of compelling stories and stories you have to slog through to get to the meaning, of beloved characters and beloved villans, of wild popularity and unfounded obscurity.

All these things add up to making a well read individual...

But it sure takes the fun out of a lot of blog conversations going on NOW! It's like seeing some amazing wagons amble by and you just know there is going to be a band on them soon! Some of the lucky one's will be there when it gets there...



And there is SUCH a smug element to that! And while I'm tottering of in 'well read' land, I'm not getting to have any of this smug-fun!! And I actually DO have a NetGalley account!!

Alas, if I could only clone myself so one of me could work on the lists and the other could drive books to the list!! Wouldn't that be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment