Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rowdy reading!

Despite not getting many blog posts up, my reading has been going purty rowdy!! Thanks mostly to audio books. I've really leaned on those this year and I'm to the point where I feel lost without one in the car AND I carry it inside to continue listening.

I listened to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime. Which I enjoyed quite a bit. I ADORED the narrator and felt like he really got the timing tone and cadence needed to convey the feeling the author intended. I enjoyed the story too.


I also listened to Heather Gudenkauf's book These Things Hidden and I wasn't as thrilled with the readers. I actually think they may have detracted from the book and I wished I had read it instead.


I'm still chipping away at The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which I love!! But in case you're not familiar this volume is 5 novels and a short story in one so I read a novel and take a break to read other things in the meantime.

I also just finished Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury for my book club Pink Drinks on a Thursday Evening. I loved it and can't wait for discussion!


My oldest daughter ended up having a brief hospital stay this weekend (nothing major, but after having had cancer last year she sometimes doesn't have the ability to fight off the average bug as well as most people and one got her down pretty heavy) and since I was staying with her I ran down and bought a book from the shop in the lobby.


So I started on one of last year's buzz books: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I haven't seen the movie either so this is a new experience all the way around. I'm about 100 pages into it but I believe I've come to it way to close to having read Curious Incident...anyone else who's read those two can tell me if they agree. I see so many similarities between the two protagonists I almost feel like one is a copy of the other or one author is actually a pseudonym for the other and they are the same guy! (which I do know isn't true).


When I ran home for clothes I did grab my other book that I HAVE to start because we have Library Book Club about it in a week and half. It's Never Let Me Go. I started it today and have fallen in love with the writing!! Plus I'm anxious to see how the story plays out. I have some pre-knowledge of the plot and 'secrets' but like how it's being shown us. I also like these characters so far!

Then, just a few moments ago (or half an hour now) I found out this was a Read-A-Thon weekend! I want to go spend time on Twitter cheering on the readers and while I'm not an official participant I think I'll work on Never Let Me Go in Read-A-Thon spirit. :) And, should I get finished, I'll go back and finish Extremely Loud.

I also have some books that came in the mail and that I found at yard sales to talk about and some 'Sunday Screenings' to catch up on!

Now working on getting my kiddo feeling better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment