Sunday, October 23, 2011

Review The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern 5/5

Title: The Night Circus

Author:  Erin Morgenstern

Pages: 387

Why I Read This Book: Well, to be honest the cover made me curious then I started seeing it reviewed on some blogs and I put it on my TBR list and then wandered by the Jim Dale Audiobook  at the library. We usually don’t get new releases that fast so I was pretty excited!

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis From Goodreads:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors.

My Review/Opinion:
 Reading the pages (or in my case listening to the pages) of The Night Circus was like falling into the most comfortable cozy bed and snuggling in. It had me from the start and I instantly was reminded of J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter. The wonderful turns of phrase and pace were so pleasantly similar that for awhile I thought I WAS reading Rowling. Honestly, I thought this might have been a pen name and had to do some research just to make sure.

And all the more respect to Erin for being able to create a world so boldly as The Night Circus. It is simply the most enchanting place to come along in such a long time. I loved all the characters and ached for them and the circumstances they came into as well.

The style jumped between two moving time frames that crept closer together as the story progressed and I had a little bit of a hard time with the time frame jumps. Especially listening to it. But I got the hang of it. And I have always enjoyed multi-viewpoint stories.

The circus itself made me want so much for it to be real I wanted to wake up one day and hear rumors of black and white tents appearing outside of town. I had favorite tents, I wanted to hear about each and every one! I wanted to spend time in them I wanted to watch the most incredible clock every turn hour after hour. I wanted to run with Widget and Poppet and Marco. 

I say I ‘read’ this, but I was indeed listening to it read by Jim Dale. Jim is amazing and may be why I was so struck by the similarity with Rowling since he is who read Harry Potter as well.  I absolutely adored listening to him and hearing his take on voices and emphasis. I couldn’t imagine anyone else could do such a magical job!

All in all, if you’ve missed the experience of discovering a magical world for the first time and the need to to find out all about it as fast as possible, The Night Circus IS that experience. It WILL be one of those books you put in everyone’s hands and which you’ll wish you could read again for the first time to recapture that feeling of delighted discovery. You'll feel this book for years to come.


4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to read this...I haven't seen a negative review on it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! I loved this one so much! Glad you liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this as well last month, and I think you did a great job of summarizing what's great about reading it--feeling like you're part of a magic world, feeling cozy while reading it, etc. Glad you liked the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Review...........I'm definitely going to check this out....

    ReplyDelete