Friday, September 21, 2012

PDOATE Book Club - Joe Blair & the Next Book


Discussion group was super small last night to talk about last months read: By The Iowa Sea a memoir by Joe Blair. It was just Audrey and I and we'd been hashing out this book all month. So our focus was more on the pink drinks :) Strawberry Frozen Margaritas - they were pretty weak spirits wise, but very yummy!
The consensus we'd come to on the book was:
  • 1. Joe is extremely talented. Which once I mentioned that not only was he a HVAC guy, but also held a MFA, that made sense. It was also sort of a dream crusher. Here we thought we'd found how the 'average Joe' (no pun intended) had managed to write something wonderful, attract the attention of an agent AND a publisher, and get his book published and well marketed...but alas, he has the pedigree for it after all.That and the ending made me sad. 
  • 2. The ending. It wasn't 'ended' well enough. And I know this is the ongoing life of a real person, but there wasn't enough...flood clean-up? I guess. Perhaps this is because I know Joe ended up back in Iowa. Back in Iowa City and I thought that would have made a better circle, a tighter tied up ending I guess.
  • 3. Despite the fact that I've had my own challenges having had a daughter with cancer, Joe's challenges blow us away. How can anything but taking care of Mike stand a chance. Career, Marriage, Hobbies, Other Children. They are all so affected by Mike. I don't know how they do it. I really don't
  • 4. We were mad at Joe. Then thought Joe was ok. Then thought Joe was a dick. Then were ok with Joe.
  • 5. We think it was a very brave memoir
  • 6. We'd love to read more of his stuff.

Two thumbs up for By The Iowa Sea from Pink Drinks On A Thursday Evening.
*note - we do have some folks that, while they couldn't read it this month, have this book on their TBR list yet. I'll update as necessary.

Audrey had next book pick and since we will be meeting in October she thought something creepy would be in order for Halloween. I wish I would have thought of  Harvest Home, but she thought something classic. She chose
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Audrey hasn't seen the movie or ever read the book. I've seen the movie, but I'm taking a fiction class right now so I'm alllll into mechanics and how authors do what the do.

Plus Bradbury is listed as one of Stephen King's biggest influences. I read Fahrenheit 451 in high school and LOVED it so I know this is going to be GREAT!

So those of you out there who want to chime in.... read the book and leave a comment and we will read your comments at the next meeting!

October 18th is when that will be and be sure to have a pink drink that night to encourage us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment